We are wearing red and getting loud for #WorldHeartDay!
In the time of COVID-19, taking care of your heart is more important than ever before.
Here are 5 Tips for better heart health:
1. Aim for at least 7 hours of sleep – In a study, young and middle aged adults who slept 7 hours a night had less calcium in their arteries than those that slept 5 hours or less.
2. Get your blood pressure checked – Cutting back on salt, limiting alcohol and favoring healthy eating habits, reducing stress and working out are all ways to lower your blood pressure.
3. Cut back on saturated fats – Reduce the amount of processed foods in your diet an check ingredient lists for hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats.
4. Have your blood sugar tested- Millions of Americans have diabetes and don’t know they have the condition. If you are 45 or older, pregnant or overweight or other risk factor. If you go unchecked you are at a higher risk for damage to the arteries which makes heart disease more likely.
5. Move – Aim for physical activity for 30 minutes a day. Also pay attention to how much time you spend sitting down. Break up long periods of sitting while you are doing things like talking on the phone or watching TV.
Do something good for your heart today!