Toxin Tuesday – Nail Polish
It is toxin Tuesday and today we are sharing about a toxin that almost all of us ladies have in our house. Can you guess it?
Well, we are talking about Nail Polish!
Not only can nail polish be toxic, but many of us also keep our nail polish for WAY TOO long.
There are three main culprits found in many nail polishes: formaldehyde, toluene, and dibutyl phthalate (DBP). These chemicals are known as the “Toxic Trio” or “Big 3”.
Formaldehyde is a chemical that is a component in plywood and particleboard and is often used as a preservative, sterilizer, and embalmer.
Toluene is a chemical that is proven to be a powerful neurotoxin that can cause neurological damage, which can lead to: impaired breathing, hearing loss, decreased brain function, and more. If a pregnant woman is to inhale it more often, it may cause birth and development defects.
Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP) is a chemical known as a plasticizer, which is used to improve polish durability and gives a shiny look to nails. However, plasticizers are known as endocrine disruptors and associated with damage to the liver, kidney, and even affect the reproductive system.
So, how long does nail polish last? Well, that depends… Opened bottles, after about two years. Unopened, they can last indefinitely.
Once a bottle has been opened, some ingredients will evaporate, causing the polish to thicken and separate.
How long have you had your nail polish?