Toxic Tuesday: Candles
It is #toxintuesday and we are hear to share one that many people may not think about and most of us have in our house… Any guesses?
We are talking about… candles! Honestly, who would have even thought, right?
Yes, sadly most candles are made from paraffin wax (a petroleum waste product) which when you burn, creates the same toxins you’d find in diesel fumes highly toxic benzene and toluene! They also often contain synthetic fragrance that can make you feel ill.
Many scented candles also have wicks that contain heavy metals like lead, and even a few hours of burning them can create levels of airborne heavy metals that are much higher than the acceptable limits. In the US, candle wicks are supposed to be made of cotton or paper, but studies have found that as much as 30% of candles contain heavy metals in the wicks. “A candle with a lead-core wick releases five times the amount of lead considered hazardous for children and exceeds EPA pollution standards for outdoor air, says the CPSC, which is why they banned lead wicks in 2003. Exposure to high amounts of lead has been linked to hormone disruption, behavioral problems, learning disabilities, and numerous health problems.” Here are some alternatives:
Search for clean-burning candles made with soy or beeswax and wooden nontoxic wicks.
Try simmering a pot of lemon, cranberries, and cinnamon sticks on your stove.